I love Eccles cakes, and these little delights are used on our high tea. They are fruity and delicious, the height of British baking.
150g unsalted butter
300g currants or raisins
75g brown sugar
75g Mixed peel
½ Tablespoon of allspice
½ Tablespoon of cinnamon
Puff pastry sheets Recipe courtes of the BBC HERE
Egg or milk for glaze
Sugar to sprinkle on top
- 1. Melt butter in microwave. Add fruit, sugar, spices and mixed peel. Stir with spoon and cool.
- 2. Lay pastry out and cut with a fluted cookie cutter to your desired size. Place a generous spoonful of fruit mix onto pastry.
- 3. Cut out another piece of pastry with a larger cutter one size up, place on top and seal together with your fingers.
- 4. Re-cut with the fluted cutter.
- 5. Glaze with milk or egg, sprinkle on sugar and make 3 small incision on the top.
- 6. Bake in the oven on 220 degrees for 15-20 mins, turning the tray around half way through.
- 7. Reheat to order.