6 Hot cross buns,
1 Vanilla pod, split and deseeded
450ml Full cream milk
6 Egg yolks
1 Cup of sugar
200g Unsalted butter
- 1. Your hot cross buns should be a a few days old and if not just put them in the oven until they slightly dry out on the outside. At the same time bring the vanilla, milk and cream to boiling point then switch off and allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- 2. Cream the egg yolks and sugar by whisking until the mixture becomes pale.
- 3. Wipe butter around your dish and then butter the hot cross buns on both sides.
- 4. Slowly pour the warm cream mixture onto the egg yolks whisking all the time to avoid the eggs cooking.
- 5. Layer the hot cross buns into your dish. For each layer cover completely with the egg mix and sprinkle chocolate on top. Repeat until you reach the top of the dish.
- 6. Cover with tin foil and put into an oven on 160◦C for 45 minutes-1 hour.
- 7. Remove from the oven and serve hot or chill until it is required then just reheat until the inside is hot and the top is crispy.