6 Hot cross buns, Use this palm oil free recipe from the BBC HERE
1 Vanilla pod, split and deseeded
450ml Full cream milk
6 Egg yolks
1 Cup of sugar
200g Unsalted butter
- 1. Your hot cross buns should be a bit stale and if not just put them in the oven until they slightly dry out on the outside. At the same time bring the vanilla, milk and cream to boiling point then switch off and allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- 2. “Cream” the egg yolks and sugar until the mixture becomes pale.
- 3. Wipe butter around your dish and then butter the hot cross buns on both sides.
- 4. Slowly pour the warm cream mixture onto the egg yolks whisking all the time to avoid the eggs cooking.
- 5. Layer the hot cross buns into your dish. For each layer cover completely with the egg mix and sprinkle chocolate on top. Repeat until you reach the top of the dish.
- 6. Cover with tin foil and put into an oven on 160◦C for 45 minutes-1 hour.
- 7. Remove from the oven until it is required then just reheat until the inside is hot and the top is crispy.
keep track of my news, restaurant reviews and competitions by liking my page at www.facebook.com/chefkevinblakeman.