Pork and Beef Meatballs in Tomato Sauce
Ingredients Serves 4-6
350g Premium beef mince
150g Free Range Pork Mince
1 Onion, finely chopped, the finer the better they will bind
3 Cloves of Garlic, finely chopped
50g English mustard
5 Splashes of Worcestershire Sauce
25g Parsley, chopped
2 tblsp Good Quality Olive oil
Salt and Pepper
1 Onion, roughly chopped
1 Jumbo Carrot, roughly chopped
2 Cloves Garlic
50g hard herbs like rosemary or thyme
125ml Red Wine
25ml Balsamic vinegar
800g Crushed Tinned Tomatoes
Salt and pepper
- 1. For the tomato sauce: In a pot add oil, the onion, carrot, garlic, hard herb and tomatoes and slowly sweat until all the ingredients are softened.
- 2. Add sugar, balsamic vinegar and then red wine in that order.
- 3. When it’s reduced slightly add the tinned tomatoes and cook until it bubbles and thickens.
- 4. Blend, you can leave it rustic or pass it through a sieve to make it smooth.
- Set aside.
- 5. For the meatballs, pound together all the ingredients until well combined.
- 6. Shape into balls no bigger than a table tennis ball and fry in a touch of oil until coloured on all sides.
- 7. When well coloured pop each ball into the sauce and bring back to the boil before serving.
- 8. Serve with a good hunk of bread, perhaps some pasta and definitely a splash of 25 year old balsamic vinegar if you have some!