Duck Prosciutto with Pickled Cucumber and Plum Sauce
I created this dish after watching Raymond Blanc on a programme behind the scenes in his kitchen. I added a little flavour to the cure and also added the pickled cucumber and plum sauce. You could alter the condiments but this gives you an idea.
Ingredients – Serves at least 4
For the duck
1 Duck breast
3 tablespoons sea salt
3 tablespoons brown sugar
1 Tablespoon freshly cracked pepper
1 Tablespoon fennel seeds
For the Pickled Cucumber (this is far too much for what you need but it is delicious and has multi-purpose)
100ml cider or white wine vinegar
1 tsp. Salt
125g Sugar Castor or white
For the Plum Sauce (again far too much)
7 plums with the stone taken out
50g brown sugar
50ml Sweet rice wine
1 tsp. cornflour made into a paste
Pinch of salt
For the duck
1. Trim excess fat of and also the very top of the skin as well but you do need a little fat remaining.
2. Rub the duck in the rest of the ingredients and leave in the chiller for 24 hours.
3. Cold wash the duck very well and pat dry.
4. Now completely wrap in muslin cloth and hang for up to 12 days in the chiller.
5. When finished hanging slice as thin as possible when required if its’ too thick it will be too chewy.
For the Pickled Cucumber
1. Shaved the cucumber into ribbons with a peeler, discarding the think green outside layer.
2. Mix with the salt and leave for 30 minutes before washing.
3. Dissolve the sugar into the vinegar.
4. Add the cucumber to the vinegar for 24 hours. You can use the vinegar again another time.
For the Plum Sauce
1. Add all the ingredients except the butter into a pot and bring to the boil slowly. 2. Keep cooking until the plums have completely broken down and the sauce is thick.
3. Blend, slowly add the butter and continue to blend until it is glossy. Pass through a sieve so it is very smooth.