Chicken livers with poached pear
Chicken livers are forever growing in popularity as we come back around to the idea that all offal is not to be sniffed at. So often they are just used in terrines and pate but how about trying them whole. This simple recipe is a great way to start. Get your butcher to clean them up as they often come with fat and sinew attached. Port can be replaced by red wine or sherry if you prefer.
150g Chicken livers
50g Shallots, peeled and finely diced
1 Poached pear sliced and arrange with 2 slices per chicken liver
Salt and pepper to taste
Oil for cooking
- 1. Add oil to a frying pan and when it is starting to smoke add the livers starting at 12 o clock position and work your way around the pan but do not overload the pan or they will start to boil instead of frying.
- 2. Add the shallots and then turn the heat down slightly and turn the livers in the same order you put them into the pan.
- 3. When the livers are coloured on all sides deglaze the pan with the port.
- 4. When the port is almost fully reduced then add the cream and allow it to thicken.
- 5. Arrange on a plate with the pears and a few salad leaves. (Rockett works very well with this dish)
- 6. Serve the livers drizzling the sauce on top.