Basic Risotto Base
Now this is a recipe I use over and over again. Basically this is a plain risotto base made using chicken stock and only half cooked. This can be the base and beginning of any risotto and can be made ahead of time to be used later. It’s flavourful yet neutral enough to add any flavour you like from fish, vegetables, meat or poultry.
500g White onion
2 Cloves of garlic
1 Lemon zest and juice
Splash of oil
100ml White wine
600g Arborio rice
1250ml Chicken stock (heat it up)
- 1. Finely dice the onion, garlic, fennel and celery and put into a pan with the butter. Add a splash of oil to help stop the butter colouring and slowly sauté.
- 2. When the vegetables have become translucent and soft add the rice.
- 3. When all the fats have been soaked up, add the white wine and reduce until it has almost all soaked into the rice.
- 4. Add a third of the hot chicken stock. And reduce again until the liquid has evaporated.
- 5. Continue adding stock doing this until the rice has grown but still has a bite and is not fully cooked (You may not need all the stock.) Add the lemon at this stage.
- 6. Cool quickly on a tray and reserve to cook again at a later time with the flavours you chose.