Grilled Mediterranean Vegetable salad
This is great for a BBQ or as a wonderfully coloured and flavour packed side dish. It is easy to prepare and when it is complete it’s very pleasing on the eye.
Ingredients – This makes a large bowl and as a side dish would serve 10 people
2 Red capsicum
2 Yellow capsicum
2 Green capsicum
1 Large Aubergine, sliced lengthways approx. 3/4 inch thick
3 Courgettes, sliced lengthways approx 3/4 inch thick
1 Large Red onion
1 Punnet Cherry tomatoes
100ml Balsamic vinegar
100ml Olive oil
200ml Canola for all the other vegetable oil
Salt and pepper to taste
- 1. Roast the red, yellow and green capsicums in the oven on high heat with salt, pepper and canola oil. When the skins are black and blistered remove from the oven and peel all the black skin off. Carefully remove the flesh and set aside discarding the seed and core.
- 2. Meanwhile season and generously oil the aubergine and bake in the oven until tender.
- 3. Repeat this process with the courgette.
- 4. Peel the red onions remove the core and top then from top to bottom slice into onion rings and put into the oven with the cherry tomatoes, olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Bake until the red onions have softened. Approximately 15mins on 220°C.
- 5. Finally when all the ingredients are cooled cut them to your desired size. I prefer them to be quite chunky. (About 5cmx5cm)
- 6. Mix the chopped ingredients with the cherry tomatoes, basil and the cooking liquor from the red onions.
- 7. Optionally garnish with chive batons.